My YouTube Videos

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Volume 2 ... Chapter Three

Meanwhile, Back with the surgeon:

Surgeon:  "So, what's going on?"

Me: "I am in a lot of pain and have a mass lower left"

Surgeon: "Uh Huh.." (reading my history on her computer)

Me: "blah blah, blah blah blah, yadda yadda." (what the doctor hears)

Surgeon: "Uh Huh..." (looks up) "So, if you have had a cyst since 2014, why is it suddenly hurting you now?  I mean, I see that you have had several abdominal surgeries.  I can go on in there and dig around if that's what you want me to do, but if I do that, there'll be more scar tissue.  And you NEVER want to get rid of your ovaries early if you can help it. Bone loss."

Me: "WAIT.  (crying) Are you telling me I have had a tumor in there for two years and no one told me?!  I have to say, I'm blown away.  I don't believe that.  It can't be right." (still crying)

Surgeon:  "That's what it says here.  'Mass unchanged since 2014.'"

Me:  "No.  Mass unchanged since last CT.  That was 2 weeks before. not 2 years."

Surgeon: (a bit more courteous) "Let me have a look at something here.  Oh, I see.  The ER doctor messed up.  I am sorry for being so matter-of-fact.  But this is serious. let's do a pelvic exam."

Me: "It's okay." (clearly it's not.  I get ready for the exam and the doctor comes back in.  The exam is so painful that I cannot speak to answer her questions.)

Surgeon:  "I think we need to get a better idea what's in there.  Let's get you scheduled for an ultrasound [again] and do some bloodwork to look for tumor markers.  Some of your symptoms are concerning me for ovarian cancer."

The test is scheduled for TWO WEEKS later.  I am devastated, in terrible pain, and afraid.  I can't even go to the lab on foot.  Mom is pushing me in a wheelchair. (and running me into EVERYTHING) The next day the doctor's office calls to say that so far the blood tests are normal.  They have a cancellation for ONE WEEK later, so to come in for that appointment. My pain isn't my only symptom.  The rest are:
  • Bloating/Abdominal heaviness
  • Feeling full when eating/loss of apetite
  • Constipation
  • Pelvic/Hip pain
  • Constant need to pee, but very little pee
  • Nausea
  • Low back pain
  • Unintentional weight gain (20 pounds in 2 weeks)
  • Unintentional weight loss (lost 10 pounds in the last three days)

Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer:
Signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer may include:
  • Abdominal bloating or swelling
  • Quickly feeling full when eating
  • Weight loss
  • Discomfort in the pelvis area
  • Changes in bowel habits, such as constipation
  • A frequent need to urinate
Stay tuned for the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment